What would you do if a burglar broke into your home and stole your most valuable possessions? Unfortunately this happens every day in the world we live in. Sure you have GA home insurance to protect you, but how do you prove what you had once it is stolen?
Clark Howard consumer guru from Atlanta tells us to video tape them!
Here are a few tips on how to do this so you will have a recorded inventory of your valuables if you needed to present them to the insurance agency in case of a claim.
1. Get your out your iphone or android phone camera. There are several ways to do this.
- If you don’t have one borrow one from a friends and family. (This is the one that Clark Howard suggests because it is free!)
- Years ago you would have to spend a lot of money on a video camera. Now smart phone cameras allow you to take awesome video!
- Upload the video to your dropbox account.
- Download the video directly to your computer.
2. Walk through your home very slowly room by room panning your personal possessions. Take the time to get close ups of all the valuable things you have.
3. As you walk talk about your items. Describe what they are in detail
4. Contact your home insurance company to ask them if there is anything else they would like to see in the case that you need to make a claim.
5. Make 2 DVD copies. One for you and one for the insurance agent in case they ask for it. Do not miss this important step. If you leave it on your computer and the computer is stolen you will be sorry.
6. Keep the DVD in a fireproof safe or better yet in a sfe deposit box so that it isn’t detroyed by fire or stolen.
We hope these tips will be helpful to you in cataloging your personal possessions whether you own a home or are just renting. Hopefully you will never need to make claims on your things, but that is what a little “insurance” is for!
Lloyd Pro Group and Nationwide have been helping folks with their homeowners insurance since 1985. They can be reached at (770) 497-1200