Lloyd Pro Group Insurance Agency wants to help keep in the spirit of Earth Day 2010 and jump-start your efforts at reducing, reusing, and recycling at home. But to continue these efforts to make them year-round, we have to make a conscious effort to begin until they become more habitual for us. Turning off lights is a habit for me. Turning off the water while I brush my teeth is not. Idon’t know why.. The good news: “A lot of the ways that people become environmentalists are just by following their common sense,” said Kim Mickenberg, a spokeswoman for the Earth Day Network. “It’s not only about saving the planet, it’s about saving your money,” she said. “There’s a convergence in our economic and ecological interests.”
Lloyd Pro Group and Nationwide Insurance want to help you make the transition an easy one into a cleaner, greener lifestyle! As an Insurance Agency, we seem to concentrate on auto, home, and business, so let us help you where we know the most about! We always like to do everything we can to give you the best life and save you the most money, so here it is!
GREEN HOME TIPS:
• Unplug! Standby (or phantom) power, may be haunting your house — and costing you more money on energy bills.. Standby power actually eats up electricity on common appliances throughout your home while they’re not even on.
• Taking a 4 minute shower instead of an 8 minute shower could also save almost 10 gallons of water. If you can’t sacrifice that, replacing your water faucets with aerated ones will use less water without sacrificing pressure.
• Put a 5 gallon bucket to catch the water while you are waiting for it to heat up, then use it to water your garden outside.
• YouRenew.com lets you easily sell or recycle your electronics. You can get cash for the electronics with value or ship it to the company for free and they’ll recycle it for you.
• Yes, you’ve heard it before. The simple, cheap, and very easy act of going to compact fluorescent light bulbs saves you about $30 over their lifetimes. In 6 months, they pay for themselves. Besides using about 75% less energy than incandescent bulbs, they also last about 10 times longer.
• If you use a programmable thermostat properly you can save as much as 15% a year on your heating bill. In the winter, keep your thermostat at 68 to 70 degrees when you’re at home or awake (the summer guideline is 78 degrees). Whether you choose to upgrade your thermostat or not, turn it back (or raise it in the summer) when you’re away or asleep.
• See this list for GREEN home cleaners. You’ll be surprised at what you read! Green Cleaners for Your Home
• Whenever possible, wash clothes in cold water. They’ll get just as clean, but without using extra energy to heat your wash water.
Lloyd Pro Group wants to be YOUR home experts. Give us a call is you have questions about your home- no matter what type of home you have. If we don’t know the answer, we will find the RIGHT one for you!
Check out our 4 Atlanta area locations for your convenience. We are in your neighborhood! Gwinnett, Atlanta, Douglasville, and DeKalb.